Litigation and Dispute Resolution
GOH Joon Seng
Former Supreme Court Judge Goh Joon Seng joined Lee & Lee as a Consultant on 1 April 2000.
Joon Seng received his LL.B. degree from the University of Singapore in 1962. He was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore on 1 April 1963 and to that of West Malaysia in the following year. He practised at the Bar until his appointment as a Judicial Commissioner on 1 October 1990 and Judge of the Supreme Court on 15 November 1990. Joon Seng retired from the Supreme Court Bench on 22 March 2000.
Joon Seng’s current appointments include the following:-
- Consultant with Lee & Lee, Advocates & Solicitors since 1 April 2000;
- Member of the Appeal Advisory Panels under the Financial Advisers Act (Cap. 110), the Insurance Act (Cap. 142), the Securities and Futures Act (Cap. 289) (15 June 2003 to 30 September 2019);
- Member of the Appeal Advisory Panels under the Business Trusts Act (Cap. 31A) and the Trust Companies Act (Cap. 336) (1 March 2006 to 30 September 2019);
- Member of the Council of Presidential Advisers Singapore (2 January 2008 to 1 January 2020);
- Chairperson of the Panel under the Legal Profession (Amendment) Act since 10 October 2008;
- Chairman and Director of the Singapore Chamber of Maritime Arbitration Limited since 5 August 2009;
- Chairman of the Criminal Law Advisory Committee (Hearing) 1 under section 39 of the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act (1 March 2010 to 28 February 2018);
- Commissioner of the Government Procurement Adjudication Tribunal under Government Procurement Act (Chapter 120) (1 April 2011 to 31 March 2019);
- Director of Woh Hup Trust formerly known as Woh Hup Foundation Limited since 4 October 2011;
- Chairman of the Appeal Board of the Commission for Foreign Manpower under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act (Cap. 91A) since 19 February 2013;
- Chairman of the Competition Appeal Board (1 September 2013 to 31 August 2019);
- Chairman of the Independent Review Panel (1 August 2014 to 31 July 2018); and
- Member of the Appointing Committee under section 36Q of the Legal Profession Act in respect of disciplinary proceedings relating to the Singapore International Commercial Court (1 January 2015 to 31 December 2018).
Joon Seng received, in the 1990 National Day Awards, the Public Service Medal (PBM), for his services in the Volunteer Special Constabulary.
In the 2006 National Day Awards, Joon Seng was awarded the Public Service Star (BBM), for his contributions as Chairman of Presidential Council for Religious Harmony.
Further, in the 2016 National Day Awards, Joon Seng was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal (PJG) for his contributions as Member of the Council of Presidential Advisers of Singapore.
Joon Seng’s past appointments include the following:
- Member of the Board of Legal Education (1970 to 1976);
- Member of Criminal Law Review Committee (1979 to 1981);
- Member of Criminal Law Advisory Committee (1978 to 1990);
- Member of the Council of the Law Society of Singapore (1988 to 1990);
- Member of the Singapore Legal Service Commission (1998 to 2000);
- Served in the Voluntary Special Constabulary (1967 to 1990) and was the Commander from 1988 to 1990;
- Chairman of the Conveyancing Fees Review Committee (2000 to 2001);
- Chairman of the Committee reviewing the Moneylenders Act, the Pawnbrokers Act and the Hire-Purchase Act (2001 to 2002);
- Chairman of the Singapore Mediation Centre (1997 to 2003);
- Member of the Tribunal for the Maintenance of Parents (2002 to 2003);
- President of the Military Court of Appeal (1997 to 2004);
- Member of Presidential Council for Religious Harmony (2002 to 2005);
- Chairman of Consumer Mediation Unit of the Association of Banks in Singapore (2002 to 2005);
- Consultant to the Professional Indemnity Committee of the Law Society of Singapore (2001 to 2005);
- Chairman and Director of the Insurance Disputes Resolution Organisation Limited (2003 to 2007);
- Chairman of the Committee of Inquiry on the escape from custody of Jemaah Islamiyah detainee Mas Selamat Bin Kastari (2008);
- Chairman and Director of the Board of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (October 2004 to February 2009);
- Member of the United Nations Administrative Tribunal (2005 to 2009);
- Guest for 2009 under the Sponsored Visitors’ Programme of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government;
- Member of the Permanent Court of Arbitration at the Hague on the nomination of the Government of Singapore (2003 to 2010);
- Member of the Senate of the Singapore Academy of Law (2001 to 2010);
- Member of the Competition Appeal Board (2005 to 2013);
- Chairman of the Income Tax Board of Review (2004 to 2013);
- Member of the National Council on Problem Gambling (2007 to 2013);
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators and the Panel of Conciliators of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes, Washington DC (1 September 2005 to 30 November 2013); and
- Authority Member of the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore under the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore Act (1 June 2006 to 30 June 2015)
- Chairman and Director of the Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre Limited (FIDReC)(8 April 2005 to 7 April 2017) ;
- President of the Tribunal for the Maintenance of Parents (1 June 2003 to 31 May 2017);
- Chairman of Presidential Council for Religious Harmony (15 September 2005 to 14 September 2017).